SMC International Students

The National Health Service (NHS) is the UK’s state healthcare system providing a wide range of health care services including appointments with a doctor, hospital treatment and dental care. You should register with a GP surgery as soon as possible after your arrival at university. 

If you are coming to study at Roehampton University from abroad, whether you are entitled to NHS services will depend on the length of time you are studying in the UK. Please click the following link for full details, as well as what will happen after the UK has left the European Union:

Tier 4 Student visa holders (those from outside of the EU/EEA)

Those applying for a Tier 4 student visa and coming to the UK for 6 months or longer will be required to pay an immigration health surcharge as part of the visa application fee. The immigration health surcharge will entitle Tier 4 students to access NHS care in the UK at no additional cost, in the same way as a permanent UK resident. This includes at the Student Medical Centre (GP surgery), a Healthcare Centre or in a hospital. You will need to pay for dental and optical treatment as well as medicine prescribed by the doctor and collected from a pharmacy (these are subsidised, but not free). There are also exceptions for particularly expensive discretionary treatments.

Students from outside the EU/EEA studying for less than 6 months (Study Abroad)

If you are a study abroad student and not entitled to NHS services, we are able to see you at the Student Medical Centre as a private patient.

PLEASE NOTE: We do not have direct arrangements with insurance companies - as with all travel insurance, you will need to pay for your visit and claim it back from your insurance provider. Your insurer should be able to provide you with a form to do this.

Currently the charge is £40 for a private consultation and £15 for a private prescription.

EU/EEA Students (from website)

EU Students (excluding Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein)

Students from the EU can access NHS services if the course is longer than 6 months and the student is resident in the UK for that period of time. If studying for a period less than 6 months, you will need a valid EHIC (European Health Insurance Card)  whilst the UK is still a member of the European Union, and private travel insurance thereafter.

If you start your period of study before the day the UK leaves the EU, you will be covered for some treatment in England if you fall ill or have a medical emergency during your visit. You should use your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or Provisional Replacement Card (PRC) issued by the country where you live. This cover will last until the end of your visit, even if it finishes after exit day, but will not apply on any future visits to the UK.

Visitors from Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein

Citizens of Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein who start their visit to the UK before exit day will be able to use the NHS as they do now until the end of their visit, even if it finishes after exit day, as the UK has made agreements with these countries.

Citizens of these countries visiting the UK after exit day may not be able to use their EHIC or PRC if they fall ill or have a medical emergency, and should buy insurance to cover their healthcare as they would if visiting another non-EU country.

Important information for those with an ongoing medical condition

Please be aware that we are unable to administer medication (e.g. by injection) that has been prescribed in another country and not every type of medication can be prescribed by the GP - some medications (such as those for ADD/ADHD or Crohn's, for example) must be issued by a specialist or in a hospital setting. Please contact the Student Medical Centre prior to coming to the UK if you require further information.

If you are currently transitioning and require injections of testosterone, or any other hormone, you will need to be referred to the Gender Identity Clinic before we are able to prescribe via the NHS. The current waiting list is around 24 months. We are able to direct you to private services if you require. It is best that you make these arrangements before coming to the UK as the waiting list is still quite long, even for private treatment.